MIB Untraced Drivers Scheme

Tragically, cyclists often fall victim to hit and run accidents. A driver in town can side swipe a cyclist without being aware they’ve made contact. Even if no contact is made, drivers can cause a cyclist to wobble and lose control by driving too close while drivers of larger vehicles are at risk of hitting cyclists on the open road without being aware their inappropriate driving has resulted in serious injury.

Always report accidents where you have been injured to Police Scotland immediately – even if you don’t have details of the offending vehicle.

In cases involving hit and run, the injured cyclist can still seek compensation even though the offending motorist is never traced. The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) Untraced Drivers Agreement allows innocent victims of accidents to seek an award for compensation. Once the application is received, the MIB will investigate the claim and assess compensation. We can assist you in submitting the application and guide you through the entire process, from start to finish.

With hit and run cases, time limits apply. If you have a claim for damage to your vehicle or other property, you must report the incident to the police within five days of the accident. For claims for injury this must be done within 14 days. Where it is not possible to comply with these time limits, the matter must be reported to Police Scotland as soon as reasonably possible.

Our Recent Case Stories

The Lesser of Two Evils

Martin had to take evasive action as an SUV moved across his path.

Unluckiest cyclist in Scotland

Derek is hit side on by a car which exits from a junction, crosses the road and ploughs straight into him.

Is it worth 5 minutes of your time?

A quick phone call allows us to ask you a few questions about what happened to you and determine whether we can help. 

This form collects your name and phone number so that we can contact you. Check out our Privacy Policy for more detail on how we store, process and protect your submitted data. If you choose not to consent, please use an alternative contact method shown on our Contact page.

Get in Touch